Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Gotta love Summer! 7/13

Happy 4th!  Well, it was the 4th of July when this all happened.  Caroline, at the keyboard for this month.  It was my turn, but I had the biggest news so it should be my turn.  While we were getting ready to head to Grandma's for the 4th of July parade, I fell on the hardwood floor and split my chin open.  We headed to urgent care and I got three stitches.  It hurt and I fought it, but I did survive.    Hope the pic doesn't gross you out.  
 

After the trauma, it was on to Grandma's!  Graham and I love riding in the parade.  Sam and Kayla drove down to join us.  It wasn't as hot as last year, but there were lots of people lining the parade route and lots of kids to pick up the candy we threw. While we were waiting for the parade to start one of Grandma's neighbors pulled up on his old tractor.  Graham got to sit on it which he loved.  We were early enough on the route that we got to see the end which included this HUGE tractor that barely fit down the street. 






We hadn't been to the zoo yet this season so we went on a weekend with dad.  Dad hadn't been to the zoo since I was a baby.  There have been several changes since he was there so lucky he finally got to see all of them!  This was the first time that we fed the giraffes.  That was pretty cool!




 Our new house did not have any landscaping - well a couple of trees and a few bushes under my window, but it needed more in front.  Uncle Greg was our landscaper.  We got to help - Graham was way more into it than I was.  I did try to use it as an excuse not to nap, but Mom coaxed me into it.  It was hot, really hot.  Fortunately Uncle Greg survived and the front of the house has so much more personality! 



July was the start of Graham's tee ball career.  He seemed to really like it and really hustled to get the ball.  His favorite part of the season was the last game when Cubby Bear showed up at the end of the game.  None of the kids finished - those that liked him ran to him and those that didn't, got out of there!

Daddy's grandmother, Nan, passed away at the end of July.  She hadn't been doing well and was in the nursing home.  We went to Kansas City to be there for Nanny and attend the funeral.  Below is me with Benjamin - just cuz I like to hug him. 
 
At the end of the month we went out to Saylorville Lake to go fishing,.  We didn't have much luck, but Mom and Dad would say we were lucky that neither Graham nor I fell in the water.  We watched the water come out the dam for awhile - Dad and Mom were probably most nervous then!   Afterword we stopped to check out these old army tanks.  Graham has asked to stop before but we never had.  Of course we climbed on them.  Pretty cool stuff.

We don't have any pictures but Mom took us to watch the Ragbrai riders come into West Des Moines.  For those readers that don't know what the is - Register's Annual Great Bike Ride Across Iowa.  Mommy used to ride a few days of Ragbrai.  Graham and I weren't really impressed but the Hy-Vee we stopped at had fun things to do including one of those big blow up slides. 

No comments: